[clug] Rsync options questtion.

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Dec 2 05:25:57 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> > I only want to sync whats changed and not recopy everyting
> > everytime.
>
> rsync -a

If rsync is going off timestamps (the default (at one stage...)), then
this will not pull the data over the network. ASSUMING - and this is
what may be happening if John's having problems - the timestamps are
staying the same between the two copies (clock drift, other weirdnesses).

If rsync is set to "always checksum" (or feels like doing it anyway), then
the data will always be pulled over the share.

Just thought I'd point that out :)

(I think Martin is the current rsync maintainer, so he knows all of
this...)

> Martin

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\