[clug] .au Debian mirrors

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Mon Dec 1 21:58:35 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 11:31, Martin Pool wrote:
> I'd like to see some kind of p2p Debian downloader, so that people on
> the same ISP can share their caches.  I seem to remember that
> transfers between people on transact are free.

Not quite as simple as that.

If both people are Webone customers, and both are using TransACT, then the
traffic is free.  This may or may not be true of other TransACT ISPs.

However, if both people are using TransACT, but are with different ISPs, then
the traffic is definitely not free.  (I know this from experience.)

The TransCity thing was supposed to allow free traffic between TransACT
customers.  However, this AFAIK this never really got off the ground.
Someone posted the details of how to log onto the free network at some stage,
but there is little point since it requires that you log off from your ISP
(and hence the public net) and both parties would need to be on the TransCity
network at the same time.  Not sure how you would let the other person know
you IP address (although I guess each STB etc has it own MAC addresss).

--
Rasjid Wilcox
Canberra, Australia (UTC +10 hrs)