[clug] .au Debian mirrors

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Dec 2 03:10:02 EST 2003

On 1 Dec 2003, at 11:31, Martin Pool wrote:

> I'd like to see some kind of p2p Debian downloader, so that people on
> the same ISP can share their caches.  I seem to remember that
> transfers between people on transact are free.

Though I'm a little puzzled as to what advantage there would be in
downloading from a "free" peer over downloading from a "free" mirror.
Surely the download-from-peer option would be slower and more
troublesome than an ISP-maintained mirror?  Even if you go the
BitTorrent route, the traffic's all got to go through the ISP anyway.

Or would this just be a case of technology for technology's sake?

"Action without study is fatal. Study without action is futile."
   -- Mary Beard