[clug] OT: Webone

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Tue Aug 19 16:17:29 EST 2003

I find that very sad.  I always found the the Webone support people very
helpful.  It would explain why none of the Webone phone numbers seem to be
being answered.

> So either the iinet people are fiddling around, getting to know
> Webone's infrastructure, or there's no one there and the whole thing is
> running on auto-pilot.
>
> I hope it's not another Interact debacle-in-the-making.

On the bright side, I eventually (today) decided to ring iinet directly (13
22 58) as our connection went down around 4pm yesterday and failed to come
up again.  The support person I spoke to was very helpful.  He was familiar
with Linux, asked me if I was using Roaring Penguin, and seemed to
understand when I related the pppd log messages.  He did not give the "we
don't  support Linux' response which I've had from other big ISPs (such as
Telstra Bigpond for example).

The solution in the end seemed to be to power-cycle the DSL modem.

So although I'm sad that a nice local company has been bought out and the
staff have been retrenched, at least it is by another Australian company,
and my experience so far suggests that iinet do in fact have a clue, even if
there are some teething problems.

Rasjid.