[clug] How is CIFS pronounced?

Owen Cameron nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Thu Aug 14 15:17:59 EST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:34:10PM +1000, Steven Hanley did utter:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 01:44:03PM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
> > I know this sounds lame but...
> >
> > Is it Siffs or Kiffs?
>
> Well Tridge tends to pronounce it with a soft S sound, so Siffs.

The 'how to pronounce acronyms' method I was taught in primary school
english (or somewhere similar) was that you pronounced the letters as
they were pronounced in the original word.

So by that rule, CIFS should be pronounced as 'KIFFS'

But every rule about the english language has an exception, and officially
the 'Graphical Interchange Format' 'gif' is pronounced 'jiff', so maybe
acronyms on the internet are the exception to this rule...

.../Nemo