[clug] Latest worm

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 12 13:08:31 EST 2003

List,

I was laughing this morning at the latest worm attacking Windows boxes
(pretty much everything from Win2K onwards although I suspect that the
older boxes are at risk too, but unpatchable). If you don't know what
worm I mean, check out /.

I thought that port 135 would *have* to be blocked off for the computers
around me. How wrong I was. According to the logs, the firewall nearest
to me in RSPhysSE, ANU, is registering heaps of hits from infected
machines in our building.

So if you're on campus, be aware that the infection is probably
campus-wide.

And take the time out to be glad that there are so many people running
Windows, after all now we get to mop up the tears.

And why oh why is port 135 open? Anyone know of a sane reason for there
to be a clear path from the outside world all the way in here?

Darren