[clug] What sort of OSS legislation would you like to see

tmc at dreamcraft.com.au tmc at dreamcraft.com.au
Sat Aug 9 09:38:37 EST 2003

My take on the whole OSS vs proprietary software is two fold.

Legistative measures:

1. ALL govt departments must use software that complies with publically
available and non-patent standards for data exchnage and communications -
that is data interchnage formats, communications protocols, etc. Under
shuc a schema govt departments must consider any systems that meets the
specifications and requirements.
2. How to make sure that we get the best value for money as "shareholders"
aka taxpayers: this one is many part:
- force a change in the rule for tendering, which would mean that a tender
evaluation process must include the cost of any "exit strategy" should a
vendor for whatever reason (real or imagined) lost the contract/ceased to
be the best option/screwed up.
- chnage the tender rules so that the vendors MUST give an estimated cost
of maintainace and patches etc over the WHOLE LIFE of the system,
including decommissioning process (as opposed to above - ditch + replace
in a hurry)
- hold vendors financially accountable for any budget blow-outs, thuis
forcing them to submit realistic pricing, etc. This is important
especially if the cost was NOT listed in the tender ;  if so, tough -
vendor pays to cover it - ie lateness, lack of functionality, etc.
Education:

1. Educate the decision makers about Open Standards, vendor lock-in and
about that the Open Source process is about. This combined with open
standards legistlation will make a difference.
2. Educate by poiting out/demonstrating alternatives - PC's/Macs/wherever
on hardware side and Proprietary/OSS on the software side.
3. Push for more balanced corriculum in the TAFE/Uni/etc environments.

Tomasz