[clug] What sort of OSS legislation would you like to see

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at pcug.org.au
Fri Aug 8 18:36:54 EST 2003

I agree with Brad that trying to use legislation to control organisational
decisions is flawed...

My take on 'what to do next is different' [and yes, education about IT &
OSS is a good idea too]

1) there are no CONSEQUENCES for all those (poor and good) decisions to
lock-in vendors or go propriatory.  How do we make _personal_ consequences
to all those CIO's etc signing cheques??  Some sort of comparion or audit
process is the start - but look at the ANAO, good reports, but no ability
to cause/mandate change or 'bring offenders to book'.

2) The is no 'OSS versus anything/anyone' battle [but the reverse is true]
What I understand to be happening, is we'd like to see some sense brought
into IT purchase decisions. [Yes, there are many 'religious bigots' for
whom "OSS (or MS or Apple or xxx) is the truth, the light, the way"]

I've writing a piece on this but have to go North [Brisbane] for a week.
Will post it when I get back.

cheers
sj

Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin