[clug] ADSL Routers

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Apr 21 11:07:11 EST 2003

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 09:51 , Burn Alting wrote:

> Can you give me some advice on good ADSL ethernet routers/modems - good
> and bad experiences.

My household used the original Alcatel SpeedTouch Home that Telstra
issued us with.

The Linux box does everything that an "all-in-one" ADSL router would do,
and more (well, it probably adds a few milliseconds of latency into the
connection, but I'm not a backbone provider so I don't care ;)

I keep wondering what's the attraction with plugging your machine
directly into a four-port ADSL router, which is directly connected to
the Internet.  Since you're already using IPCOP, you already have the
functionality you want, so I'd suggest just using a modem rather than a
router.