[clug] Re: Determining availability of a remote machine

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Fri Apr 4 08:49:54 EST 2003

At 12:16 AM +1000 2003/04/04, Jepri wrote:
>On 2003.04.03 19:38, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> >This is already part of the ping standard.  Try looking in your
>>/etc/services file.  It's almost always commented out.
>>
>>Exactly what is it you're talking about?  What is part of the ping
>>standard?  /etc/services has udp and tcp ports.  What has that to do
>>with ping?
>
>These lines have everything to do with ping:
>
>echo            7/tcp
>echo            7/udp
>
>There is a good explanation of what these do, and what they should do at:
>
>http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=42739

In the sense that they might do the same thing if anyone used them anymore yes.  As part of ping in the sense of getting replies yes.  In the sense of having anything special to do with ICMP requests and replies, no.

>This is documented in RFC 862, although I understand that it is no longer trendy to go to the source when arguing about network protocols.

How else would you do it?

Kim
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)