[clug] Re: Determining availability of a remote machine

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Fri Apr 4 00:16:34 EST 2003

On 2003.04.03 19:38, Kim Holburn wrote:
> >This is already part of the ping standard.  Try looking in your
> /etc/services file.  It's almost always commented out.
>
> Exactly what is it you're talking about?  What is part of the ping
> standard?  /etc/services has udp and tcp ports.  What has that to do
> with ping?

These lines have everything to do with ping:

echo            7/tcp
echo            7/udp

There is a good explanation of what these do, and what they should do
at:

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=42739

This is documented in RFC 862, although I understand that it is no
longer trendy to go to the source when arguing about network
protocols.  I constantly have to restrain the other sysadmin at work
from just making up crap about network protocols and palming it off as
'knowledge'.