Determining availability of a remote machine

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 2 18:48:56 EST 2003

At 3:50 PM +1000 2003/04/02, Warwick Mitchell wrote:
>Traceroute relies on ICMP.
>
>You could always try a tcp connection and wait for a RST packet or a SYN
>ACK, depending if the machine is listening on the port or not. You would
>still need a timeout if the machine was dead though, but I can't see
>anyway around that. And firewalls etc would still be in the way, but
>firewalls are always going to get in the way, that's their job.

I think nmap can be configured to do that with one packet.  You'd want be careful not to let nmap loose in it's full mode.

>	Warwick
>
>On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Stephen Jenkin wrote:
>
>> Would 'traceroute' work?
>>
>> Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
> > 0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)
> > PO Box 48, Kippax ACT 2615, AUSTRALIA

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)