TransACT Cable Router

Dale Shaw DShaw at exceed.com.au
Wed Apr 2 10:05:40 EST 2003

Bob,

Yeah -- brain wasn't fully engaged when I was thinking about how the
device might handle packets targeted for its visible address when PAT
(or more accurately "Network Address Port Translation (NAPT)") is used
as distinct from basic NAT (one-to-one or many-to-many). RFC1631 is all
over the shop, but it doesn't talk about translating TCP and UDP port
numbers. RFC2663 seems to exist because of confusion around NAT-related
terminology (I'd never heard of "IP Masquerading" until I used Linux and
ipfwadm in about 1993; I wish the term would go away).

I was talking about out of band connection attempts to the xDSL
interface's IP address -- obviously in a NAPT scenario it can't possibly
know which (of possibly many) "inside" hosts to un-translate and forward
to, so it _must_ drop the packet(s) on the floor. In a basic/traditional
NAT scenario, you have to wonder how the router would handle incoming
packets, since it DOES have a 1:1 IP translation and theoretically knows
exactly where to forward them on the inside. This is probably covered by
section 4.2 of RFC2663 ("Bi-directional NAT"), but since the various
vendors usually just say "yeah, we do NAT", it probably doesn't help
John with his quest.

NAT sucks :-) Three cheers for application proxies!

Cheers,
Dale