Determining availability of a remote machine

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 2 17:51:53 EST 2003

At 3:50 PM +1000 03/4/2, Warwick Mitchell wrote:
>Traceroute relies on ICMP.

Ummm, no traceroute uses udp (port 33434 to 65535).  There may be versions that use icmp and other protocols you can use but most default to udp.

>You could always try a tcp connection and wait for a RST packet or a SYN
>ACK, depending if the machine is listening on the port or not. You would
>still need a timeout if the machine was dead though, but I can't see
>anyway around that. And firewalls etc would still be in the way, but
>firewalls are always going to get in the way, that's their job.
>
>	Warwick
>
>On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Stephen Jenkin wrote:
>
>> Would 'traceroute' work?
>>
>> Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin
> > 0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)
> > PO Box 48, Kippax ACT 2615, AUSTRALIA

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)