Red Hat linux installation problem 2

Ian Matters ian.matters at post1.com
Sun Sep 29 01:46:11 EST 2002

Hi Ali.  What do you know about your hardware?

How is your CD-ROM drive connected to your computer?  Through one of the
IDE channels or through some other means like a SCSI port or even a sound card?

How old is the computer that you are using?  Quite recent or a few years old?

Can the computer BIOS find the CD-ROM drive?  Do you see the CD-ROM drive
mention when the computer first starts up?

Can you "see" the CD-ROM drive from another operating system such as
Windows or even DOS?  Can you read the RedHat disk 1 from that other OS?

What we need to do is to determine if your problem of reading the RedHat
disk 1 is a matter of a faulty CD-ROM disk or a matter of faulty/improperly
connected/unusual computer hardware.

Regards, Ian.
---