Server on small HDDs

Scott D. Ferguson scottf at angelfire.com
Tue Sep 17 13:11:33 EST 2002

I would like to install Linux onto an old computer (P120) which has 3 hdds (2 x 1.2Gb 1 x 1Gb), and use it as a server for a small network (Samba but not Apache).  Any suggestions for the most effecient way to partition the drives?

I will probably use RedHat 7.3.
I have previously partioned hda (1.2Gb) as 20Mb boot, 256MB swap and remainder as /.
hdb (1Gb) as /var.
hdc (1.2Gb) as /usr.

With such limited space I would like to use the space more efficiently - should I try some sort of RAID arrangement?  (RAID 0?)

My programming skills are minimal, though I have lots of patience (have previously installed Debian on a PS/2 (MCA bus with no scuzzy drives).
---
         TERMS AND CONDITIONS - PERSONAL DATA
16.4 In processing Transactions , we may incidentally collect some limited personal data
     about your racial or ethnic origins, political opinions, religous or other beliefs,
     trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life or criminal record.
     You agree that we may use, disclose, transfer or sell those personal data as described in this condition.

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com