ps2pdf making very large pdf files

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Sep 17 12:36:15 EST 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:21:20AM +1000, John Griffiths wrote:
> in windows acro distiller performs an equivalent task (but is not so easily
> customised to suit our purposes, plus i'm trying to move away from windows
> reliance)
>
> the acro distiller output is of similar quality to look at but varies from
> 75% to 10% of the file sizes for equivalent jobs..

Yep, acro distiller is a very different beast. ps2pdf does some format
conversion but basically does nothing. Distiller on the other hand does
stuff like resampling images to the requested resolution, subsetting of
fonts so only the used glyphs are included, merging of duplicate included
images / fonts / functions and other such stuff. The end result is that
distiller does a better job.

Unfortunatly I havn't seen an open-source product come close to it.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/