ps2pdf making very large pdf files

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Tue Sep 17 11:21:20 EST 2002

sorry, i wasn't very clear there,

the printer driver is just a way to get a postscript output (from browsers,
word processors, or from other pdf files from dubious sources) from a
windows machine onto the samba machine.

the samba machine then assigns a unique file number and turns it into a pdf
file (using ps2pdf, part of the gs package) and puts the file in the
printing user's home directory.

is there a good alternative to ps2pdf?

in windows acro distiller performs an equivalent task (but is not so easily
customised to suit our purposes, plus i'm trying to move away from windows
reliance)

the acro distiller output is of similar quality to look at but varies from
75% to 10% of the file sizes for equivalent jobs..