CD burning - multiple drives at once

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Mon Sep 9 00:40:46 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:08:00AM +1000, Joel Pearson wrote:
> Wouldn't starting multiple instances of cdrecord be a really bad way of
> using multiple CD drives at once? Because I'd be thinking that every
> instance of cdrecord would be accessing the hard disk at different
> places and you'd be quickly limited by how fast your hard disk is.
>
> There are a few windows programs that support multiple burners at once
> but prices start at $450, so I'm thinking it has to be a little
> different that opening a burning program more than once.  You'd want to
> hope so anyway :-)

How could one program using two cdrom drives use the hard disk any better
than two programs doing one burn each? A single speed burn would be 150KB/s
and since hard disk transfer rates can exceed 20MB/s I don't think you'll
have any problems there. Even a 12 speed burn is only 1.8MB/s.

Even better, if you're burning the same file multiple times, it'll be in the
disk cache, thus disk transfer becomes moot.

I imagine doing it all in one program would be quite difficult because
different drives may be of different types with different media, etc. How
would you handle errors? Using multiple programs solves all these problems
neatly.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/