Problem installing Mandrake 8.2 on Acer Veriton 5500

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Wed Sep 4 13:13:19 EST 2002

Aey.
for a really thourough description of NIC installation, have a look through
the ethernet howto:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Ethernet-HOWTO.html

with any luck, mandrake will have the driver for your card, so give this a
try:
cd to:  /lib/modules/????/net   where ???? is your kernel version.
type:  insmod ./eepro100.o

if you don't get any errors, this probably worked. you'll want to add
eepro100 to the modules that get loaded at startup, but I don't know where
mandrake keeps it's modules file.
type 'ifconfig -a' to see if the interface is going. if it's not, you will
need to manually configure the interface using ifconfig (try 'ifconfig eth0
up').

good luck ;}
-James