Is Novell still in the dark ages?

Dale Shaw DShaw at exceed.com.au
Tue Sep 3 14:19:27 EST 2002

You were watching a bad operator. I hope it's no one I know :-)

CONLOG.NLM logs console output to a file, and it's configurable (when it
rolls logs over etc.). It's loaded by default and writes to (from
memory) SYS:SYSTEM\CONLOG.TXT.

The NetWare File System has the concept of "Last accessed".

Functionality at the NetWare console has always been limited. The model
is client/server and Novell don't bloat up the server footprint by
including a pretty interface to run commands in that should be run from
a management workstation. Since NetWare 5.0, though, there's been a
graphical console available. It's actually X-Windows. No NetWare sites I
know have it running.

NetWare 5.0 also introduced NSS - NetWare Storage Services - which
includes a journaling filesystem. I won't rave on about how good it is,
because it's only just starting to become useful/practical with NetWare
6.0.

Of course, you might have an older NetWare server that doesn't have any
of this functionality. NetWare 5.0 came out around '98/99 and NetWare
4.0 was released around '93/94.

Don't try to compare NetWare with other operating systems that pretend
to be "server operating systems". NetWare isn't a client operating
system in disguise, therefore it doesn't provide much client
functionality at the console.

Cheers,
Dale (CNE, for what it's worth these days)

PS: Having said that, if you have the will and sufficient propellors,
you can do practically anything at a NetWare console.