Advice Sought: Canberra ISP's

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Thu Oct 17 13:24:00 EST 2002

Quoting James McNeill <james at heague.com.au>:

> I'll suggest using TPG (www.tpg.com.au) out of gratitude for their free
> night-rider service that they afford me.(yes, it's free to everyone else
> too). TPG's normal dial-up is quite cheep, and I've been happy with them.
> I've heared unsubstanciated complaints about them, but hey.
> --TPG doesn't block any ports and is good for web servering etc.

I had a dial-up TPG account for over 6yrs (joined up in Wollongong) and
recently left them as I was unhappy with their network performance.  Some sites
I could not access at all of an evening as connections timed out. (They did
work during the day though!)  Transfers would also bubble along at less than
1Kbps.  I bit the bullet, and left them.  Yes they are cheap, but in peak times
(ie an evening), their performance was lacking.  Other than that, they were
fine.

> Webone (preferably pronounced Wee-Bone ;-) ) is widely used and works over
> TransACT if you have it. Unfortunatly they bock port 25 altogether, so you
> can't receive emails on your SMTP webserver :-(      www.webone.com.au

I moved to WebOne.  Been with them for only a couple of months and have been
very happy with them.  They are not the cheapest around but they do perform
better, and interact with you far better than what TPG ever did for me.  You
get monthly statements emailed to you stating what traffic you used and how
much they charge you (yes, TPG will give you this info, but you have to go to a
web site to find it out and in the process log-in twice - WebOne also provides
a web site for this info so you can find out during the month).  Not to mention
their off-peak rates of half cost traffic.  (Midnight to 9:30am I think - ie
you download 20Mb, but only charged for 10Mb.)

The other thing that amazed me about WebOne is they actually sent out an email
apologising for slow performance due to a router fault - then followed it up a
couple of days later with an explanation about what went wrong.  For a tech
head, its nice to know info. The explanation was twofold, a simple one and a
more detailed one. The other advantge with WebOne in my case is that one of
their dial-up numbers is on the same exchange as me so I get it as a
neighbourhood call, and can connect at 31.2 most times instead of 28.8. (Curse
Telstra and their RIMs.) WebOne also suport TransACT, ADSL and ISDN connections
as well as dial-up so options are there for higher speed without changing ISP
if you so desire.

There are some other Canberra based ISPs (Galaxy, NetSpeed to name two others),
but have had no experience with them at all.  ACTEW/AGL (our local consolidated
electricity, water and gas supplier) has also entered the ISP market.

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA
CBR AU