Advice Sought: Canberra ISP's

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu Oct 17 13:10:51 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 12:58, John Griffiths wrote:
> >Webone (preferably pronounced Wee-Bone ;-) ) is widely used and works over
> >TransACT if you have it. Unfortunatly they bock port 25 altogether, so you
> >can't receive emails on your SMTP webserver :-(      www.webone.com.au
> I get SMTP just fine on my webone connected box, it's staic IP tho so that
> might help.

Webone do not block any ports if you have a static ip plan. They *do*
block incoming SMTP on dynamic ip plans including your average Transact
plan (where the ip is dynamic, even if it doesn't change in practice).
They are, however, quite good and very reliable.

If you do run your own smtp server, just set a mail alias up to forward
all mail to your webone (or other external) account, and use fetchmail
to retrieve it from there. It isn't a permanent link, so you risk losing
mail if you do it any other way anyway.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au)