Advice Sought: Canberra ISP's

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Thu Oct 17 12:49:30 EST 2002

I'd reccomend not using BigPond anyway. They are well overpriced and don't
provide a good quality service. Bigpond also receives far more spam than
other ISPs if you use their email.

I'll suggest using TPG (www.tpg.com.au) out of gratitude for their free
night-rider service that they afford me.(yes, it's free to everyone else
too). TPG's normal dial-up is quite cheep, and I've been happy with them.
I've heared unsubstanciated complaints about them, but hey.
--TPG doesn't block any ports and is good for web servering etc.

also very cheep are dodo (www.dodo.com.au) and  froggy (www.froggy.com.au)
I'd personally rather you don't use Dodo 'cause thier ads anoy me and the
sooner they can't stop putting them on TV the better. up to you though.

DONT use ozemail if you want to use your own SMTP server (like I do) because
the range of dynamic IPs they use is on alot of SPAM blocklists and your
e-mails will be rejected.
**Does anyone else know anything about this?**

Webone (preferably pronounced Wee-Bone ;-) ) is widely used and works over
TransACT if you have it. Unfortunatly they bock port 25 altogether, so you
can't receive emails on your SMTP webserver :-(      www.webone.com.au

If your new to canberra, you probably don't know about TransACT (our
friendly local high-speed network). www.transact.com.au

have I confused you yet?
HTH
-James