Red Hat linux 7.3 user name and password

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Oct 1 07:28:45 EST 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Brad Hards wrote:

> > This screen comes after I boot linux system.
> > I really don't want to reinstall this because it is
> > gonna take another hour.

> There is a way to fix it (using /bin/bash as init), but it is pretty horrible,
> and may not work. So if you can't remember the password you just entered,
> you'll likely need to re-install.

Another option is to boot off the install CD in repair mode, mount the
hard disk (something like mount /dev/hda1 /mnt)* and edit the /etc/passwd
file... You'd probably be best off asking an experienced user to walk you
through this in person, or it will take longer than reinstalling.

Mikal

*: Have a look at the boot messages for Linux. It will tell you the name
of the device which is the / filesystem.

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UTC +10 hours