Examples of 'dpkg --get-selection > packagesinstalled.txt' for firewall

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 28 14:35:55 EST 2002

We always log from our firewalls to dedicated log hosts located on the inside
network. If someone does get into the firewall, the first thing they will do
is delete/corrupt the log files to put you off their scent (stench). The
internal log host machine usually knows nothing about the outside world (no
default route) and blocks most everything.

Then you don't need log rotation on your firewall. Actually most of our
firewall machines net boot from an internal server and have no non-volatile
storage at all. Some of them boot from CD-ROM and have a floppy for
configuration files (usually kept write protected).

Of course, all this (log hosts and net booting) requires extra infrastructure.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.