Examples of 'dpkg --get-selection > packagesinstalled.txt' for firewall

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 28 21:38:01 EST 2002

Bob Edwards (Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au) wrote:
> We always log from our firewalls to dedicated log hosts located on the
> inside network.

When I pointed this out to Alex, his argument was that should the
internal log host die or be unavailable for a period of time, you lose
your logs.

What I didn't think of at the time (since I was only half-interested ;)
is the fact that should the logs be kept on the firewall, and the
firewall dies, you lose your logs anyway!

The other counter-argument which also springs to mind is the fact that
Alex doesn't read the log files anyway, so what should he care where
they are? ;)

I also believe that some versions of syslog will buffer log messages if
the remote logging host is unavailable.

--
Matt