3d/DRI - Matrox G450 - Redhat 7.3

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 21 21:43:31 EST 2002

james canberra (james_canberra at hotmail.com) wrote:
[-- snip --]
> Can anyone give advice or point me where to look?

Sure.

[-- snip --]
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: init_module: No
> such device

You need agpgart support in your kernel (either compiled in, or as a
module).  You probably also need to do something like add

alias char-major-10-175 agpgart

to /etc/modules.conf and you'll also hopefully have a device node like
so (this is on a system with devfs):

crw-rw----    1 root     video     10, 175 1970-01-01 10:00 /dev/misc/agpgart

> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/char/drm/mga.o: init_module: Cannot
> allocate memory

And not only do you need this in the kernel as well, you need agpgart
support loaded first ;)

Finally, you'll want the Linux drivers off www.matrox.com as the HAL
module adds a few neat features (like setting up the clock rates
correctly ;)

Oh, don't forget to turn on the appropriate AGP mode in your
XF86Config-4 file.  My mobo can only do 2x, though the card will support
up to and including 4x.

I get about 30fps with all the detail off in Q3A, and 12fps outside in
RTCW on that really fun assassin mission :/
And if you prefer open source games, I get about 35fps or so at the
insane difficulty of Critical Mass (which is an awesome game).

--
Matt