linux in government

Rob Weir rweir at softhome.net
Sat Nov 9 08:29:46 EST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 04:21:12PM +1100, John Griffiths wrote:
> Work requires windows at work until such time as i can handle docs and pdfs
> as i would in windows.

For PDF's at least, I would argue the Free route gives a much better set
of tools.  Both xpdf and gv (if you can live with hyperlinks, ECMAScript
and the page preview index thingy) are far better PDF viewers than any
version of Acrobat I've ever seen.  pdflatex and DocBook produce
beautiful documents and the pdf2X tools (maybe combined with the netpbm
tools) let you convert them to any other file type under the sun and
it's all Free.

For Word documents I don't know, and thankfully don't have to care right
now; the CS department at the ANU is nearly completely Unix-based so
LaTeX, PostScript, PDF and Emacs are the orders of the day.

-rob