Surviving in a DOC infested world

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 6 21:05:04 EST 2002

Tim Potter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 12:10:01PM +1100, Simon Fowler wrote:
>

>>>I've tried 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 on two different systems, and both have
>>>operated identically - I don't get a crash, but I don't get any widgets
>>>either (including fonts).  I've tried multiple times, I've tried messing
>>>with the font server config and paths, I've tried changing my locale to
>>>"?" instead of "en_AU".  A friend had exactly the same experience.  I'd
>>>like to know how you actually got it to work ;-)
>>
>>I had this problem on a Debian Sid box that had truetype font
>>support buggered up - when I managed to fix that, it worked
>>perfectly. I think that may be the key issue with getting OO
>>running.
>

> For what it's worth, I've seen this solution to this problem work as
> well.
>

> Tim.

For what it is worth, I've never seen this problem on my Debian Woody (or
earlier unstable version) laptop. Then again, I have an expert in Steve Hanley
to make my Debian laptop do what it ought to (and he regularly does) - I am at
a complete loss to sort out this Debian thing sometimes.

On the other hand, RedHat I can manage quite well, thanks.

Anyway, back to OpenOffice - works quite well on all systems and platforms I
have tried it on since 1.0.0. Seems a big improvement on StarOffice 5.2.

Which reminds me - the other day I went to a dual Sun presentation. The first
part was introducing the new Sun Linux 1 RU dual CPU server (really an Intel
mobo in a Sun box). The second part was from a Sun ONE (Open Network
Enterprise or something like that) engineer. These are the guys doing all the
Sun software development including Java, Solaris, Sun Linux and Star Office
(amongst many others). Guess what package this bozo was using to give his
presentation - yep - M$ Powerpoint! The first guy really did use StarOffice
(albeit on a laptop running 'doze) but the second guy was actually telling us
the virtues of Star Office etc. and using PowerPoint! When I pointed this out
to him he had no excuse - but he still had the gall to tell us all how much we
would save by using Sun StarOffice instead of other vendors office solutions!

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.