[Q] (Slightly OT) KVM Over CAT5 or Other....

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 6 20:35:46 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 12:51, Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>>I think that this issue of network booting came up in the context of providing
>>a silent thin-client to a noisy server located elsewhere within someones
>>home.
>

> A disk-equipped workstation isn't necessarily noisy.  The hard drive
> I've got in my desktop PC (well... technically it's a floor-standing PC)
> is so quiet I had to put my ear right on top of it to check that I could
> hear *something*.  The noisiest part of my floor-standing PC is the
> power supply fan, chassis fan, or the CDROM when it's spinning.
>
> So a hard drive is hardly the component to be worrying about for a
> silent workstation.  There's no point in having net-boot to eliminate
> hard drive noise, when you've got high-RPM fans on your processor, power
> supply and case.
>
> Alex

The mini-ITX board, case, PSU kits we recently received included a 12VDC
convertor which is external to the case and has no moving parts. There is also
no PS fan in the case.

The noisiest part of my XBox running Linux is the 20GB hard disk running at
7200 rpm - the original 5400 rpm MS supplied disk drive was somewhat quieter.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.