Surviving in a DOC infested world

Mark Purcell mark at purcell.homeip.net
Wed Nov 6 19:47:32 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 11:05:30PM +1100, Sam Couter wrote:
> 1) antiword - Can do plain text or PostScript, which is pretty neat.
> Viewer application only, no editing. Handles tables.

I can backup the use of antiword very much.

Here I have mutt & antiword setup as my word viewer and nine times out
of ten I don't even notice that I have received a word document.

The document just appears as an inline attachment like any other text
document and is actually quite reasonable to read.

Hit reply and the email text+ the Word document are included in the text
response.

I once went through a entire editing sequence with some offsite people
doing exactly that.  They would send me a word document, I would read it
inline with mutt and send back comments on the relevant sections
'inline'.

They didn't know I didn't have MSWord, sure it isn't as smooth as 'Track
Changes' but it certainly got the job done all from a linux console.

Mark