Surviving in a DOC infested world

Simon Fowler simon at
Wed Nov 6 12:10:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:06:43AM +1100, Matthew Hawkins wrote:
> Tomasz Ciolek (tmc at wrote:
> >  This is a very odd story you tell me. I have been usinf OpenOffice on
> >  X86 and PPC with no craching/problems on a large selection of .doc
> >  files, up to and including those form office XP-SP2
> > 
> > I have openoffice 1.0.1 installed, as a net based install, not a full
> > install.
> I've tried 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 on two different systems, and both have
> operated identically - I don't get a crash, but I don't get any widgets
> either (including fonts).  I've tried multiple times, I've tried messing
> with the font server config and paths, I've tried changing my locale to
> "©" instead of "en_AU".  A friend had exactly the same experience.  I'd
> like to know how you actually got it to work ;-)
I had this problem on a Debian Sid box that had truetype font
support buggered up - when I managed to fix that, it worked
perfectly. I think that may be the key issue with getting OO


PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or
(crappy) Homepage:
doe #237 (see 
My DeCSS mirror: 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 232 bytes
Desc: not available
Url :

More information about the linux mailing list