[Q] (Slightly OT) KVM Over CAT5 or Other....

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Nov 5 16:07:12 EST 2002

Robert Edwards wrote:
> Don't use a hard drive - these boards will boot diskless from a network server
> no problem at all.

Some people might like the option of PXE - to me it's just asking for
trouble. I would only use PXE for the diskless Jukebox machine sitting
with all the other (quiet) audio gear in the entertainment unit.

> They can also boot from a USB device (normally a Floppy, ZIP, hard disk or
> CD-ROM, but I believe also from a memory stick device - I am trying that this
> morning

Booting from CD ROM is probably the closest I'll get to "diskless".  The
idea of booting from a CF memory is quite appealing, since the solid
state ones are available in quite large capacities (256MiB in a solid
state CF).