[Q] (Slightly OT) KVM Over CAT5 or Other....

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 5 10:11:16 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:15 am, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:23 pm, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> >>The catch is that many of these Mini-ITX boards have built-in video with
> >>S-Video out and no VGA.
> >
> > I guess that makes them useful for firewalls / low spec servers etc but
> > not so good as a workstation.
>
> The PAL-video-only boards are useful for:
>   - MP3/Ogg jukeboxes
>   - Routers
>   - Servers
>   - Compile farms
>   - On-board computers for cars
>
> For a workstation, there are Mini-ITX boards that have built-in VGA
> output. Certainly a 800MHz PIII would be powerful enough to run VNC to
> control a remote computer?  The hard part in building a silent PC is
> getting a hard drive that is quiet enough.  In a small case, you have
> very little opportunity to deaden hard drive noise.
>
> Alex

Don't use a hard drive - these boards will boot diskless from a network server
no problem at all.

They can also boot from a USB device (normally a Floppy, ZIP, hard disk or
CD-ROM, but I believe also from a memory stick device - I am trying that this
morning). Note that the Eden boards do not include a normal 34-pin floppy
disk connector.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.