Automating the Default Route (?)

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Nov 2 15:44:00 EST 2002

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 3:16 pm, Irena and Richard Jenkins wrote:
> I run Mandrake 8.2 on this powermac.  It is connected to my wife's iMac by
> a crossover cable ... and both macs can see each other okay using either
> MacOS9 or linux.  When connecting to my ISP I use kppp ... and then I
> cannot get past the login!

I assume you mean the login to your ISP?

> I found that by opening a terminal, becoming superuser and issuing the
> command '/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down' , I can surf the net and recover emails.
> I am happy to do this on a temporary basis ... but where do I place this
> command so I don't have to execute it manually every time I connect to my
> ISP.  Will it change my home network if I make such a change??
>
> Richard

In my version of kppp (on RH7.3), the 'Gateway' tab has an "Assign the Default
Route to this Gateway" option on it.  This should be checked.

It is a little unclear to me from the above whether you need to take eth0 down
before you can connect to your ISP, or you can connect but you just can't do
anything.

I assigning the default gateway through KPPP does not work, could you post the
output of the 'route' command when:
a) you are not connected to your ISP
b) when you are connected to your ISP but have not taken eth0 down (assuming
this makes sense)
c) when you are connected and it all works.

Rasjid.