Automating the Default Route (?)

Irena and Richard Jenkins rjenkins at alphalink.com.au
Sat Nov 2 15:16:27 EST 2002

I run Mandrake 8.2 on this powermac.  It is connected to my wife's iMac by a
crossover cable ... and both macs can see each other okay using either MacOS9
or linux.  When connecting to my ISP I use kppp ... and then I cannot get
past the login!

I found that by opening a terminal, becoming superuser and issuing the
command '/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down' , I can surf the net and recover emails.
I am happy to do this on a temporary basis ... but where do I place this
command so I don't have to execute it manually every time I connect to my
ISP.  Will it change my home network if I make such a change??

Richard