Am I missing something? (ADSL-MASQing)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue May 21 14:54:16 EST 2002

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 11:10 , Neil Symons wrote:

> However another Business I am helping out cannot seem to Surf Direct
> nor able to finish downloading their first e-mail when popping on all
> their Windoze Boxes behind the router.

Check the masquerading entries in /proc/net/ip_masq/{tcp,udp}

I've had problems with a Potato box where the interface has changed
addresses between packets.  The masquerading entries are still there, so
the kernel tries to send the packets out the old interface, and things
get all messed up.

Another problem you may have is with routing - check the traffic in
transit on the firewall with iptraf or tcpdump.  You may find something
interesting - with Windows XP I've had problems connecting to HTTPS
sites with IE6 or Mozilla - the SSL request goes out, a response comes
back, but Windows XP ignores it.  Install Windows 98 and everything
works fine.

HTH
Alex