SPAM

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Tue May 14 22:04:20 EST 2002

Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> writes:

> Now I'm sure the sudden influx of spam on this list has nothing to do with the
> Gmane gateway.

Probably not, but the timing was apt. How does everyone feel about obfuscating
the addresses in the peripheral services like news gateways and mail archives?
They tend to get trawled by spambots more often than private mailing lists do.

> This list is setup so that only subscribers can email to the list isn't it?
> And that subscribers need to reply with a confirmation letter in order to
> subscribe?  Inquiring minds ... etc. etc.

Don't think so - I switched my username in the email address a few months back
so that I can track which account name has been harvested when I receive spam.
I'm pretty sure I didn't subscribe with this account, which means that mail
can be sent from anyone, subscribed or not.

--
Damien Elmes