Autofs directory/filesystem permissions

Matthew Gibbins MJGibbins at operamail.com
Wed May 1 07:12:06 EST 2002

And yo was Sam Couter heard to yodel:
> Matthew Gibbins <MJGibbins at operamail.com> wrote:
> >  root.root and -rwxr-xr-x as the bits. Is there any way to specify the
> >  user.group and permission bits for automounted file systems?
>
> It makes no sense to do so. It's not a normal filesystem; you can't
> "touch /mnt/foo" if /mnt is an automount directory, regardless of
> whether you're root or joeuser.

  Understandable there. However, is there a way to tell the autofs
  daemon what permissions to use for the given directory?

  I have a directory /mnt/fdisk under which I mount the floppy drive.
  When autofs is not running it has the following permissions
  drwxrwxr-x    2 root     floppy         48 Jan 20 18:18 /mnt/fdisk/
  This is to match those for /dev/fd0.

  However, when I activate autofs the directory reports as follows.
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 May  1 07:10 /mnt/fdisk/
  That is autofs overwrites the filesystem permissions and I was
  wondering if there is a way to specify how the daemon handles the
  permissions.

  Cheers,
  Matt.

--
 I'm not advocating that anyone take up emacs.
 Not even me: at my age, I'd be more likely to try bungee-jumping.