Autofs directory/filesystem permissions

Sam Couter scouter at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 1 10:48:20 EST 2002

Matthew Gibbins <MJGibbins at operamail.com> wrote:
>   Understandable there. However, is there a way to tell the autofs
>   daemon what permissions to use for the given directory?
>
>   I have a directory /mnt/fdisk under which I mount the floppy drive.
>   When autofs is not running it has the following permissions
>   drwxrwxr-x    2 root     floppy         48 Jan 20 18:18 /mnt/fdisk/
>   This is to match those for /dev/fd0.
>
>   However, when I activate autofs the directory reports as follows.
>   drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            0 May  1 07:10 /mnt/fdisk/
>   That is autofs overwrites the filesystem permissions and I was
>   wondering if there is a way to specify how the daemon handles the
>   permissions.

Okay, now I see what you mean. You wan to be able to control the
permissions on the root directory of the mounted filesystem, not on the
autofs directory.

That's easy: For filesystems with ownership and permissions capabilities
(ext2, ext3, reiser, etc) the filesystem itself specifies the ownership
and permissions. For filesystems without ownership and permissions
capabilities (any of the FAT filesystems), use the appropriate options
to the mount command. man mount, and you probably want to use uid, gid
and umask.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:scouter at bigpond.net.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org