Next CLUG meeting

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Fri Mar 22 13:00:44 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> writes:

> I don't mind paying this much for ADSL, after all, Telstra can't do it all
> themselves - they have to ship the bits over to the USA to be processed, then
> ship them back so they can go where they're supposed to.  All that Mexican
> labour costs money.  It's not like the networking gear located in Australia is
> actually capable of routing and switching all on its own, is it?
>
> Okay.  Spleen vented.  Thanks for reading.

Actually, that's part of the point. Telstra justify the expensive US internet
market by charging us a packet (heh) for the data we use. There is *no* attempt
to deliver free or cut-price data for Australian traffic. Hell, with free
access to mirror.aarnet, I'm sure a lot of us would be much more content.

And charging for traffic from one bigpond ADSL connection to another? It's
evil.

One thing which might brighten Bigpond users' days, however:

"ACCC runs out of patience with Bigpond delays"

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/772

--
Damien Elmes
resolve at repose.cx