Suggestions on Distributions

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Mar 20 00:05:41 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 08:59:16PM +1100, Brett Worth did utter:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bolin, Robert wrote:
>
> > Can anyone make suggestions?
>
> For a window manager I've found "window maker" to be pretty light
> weight.  I'm not sure if its heavier or lighter than fvwm but it
> certainly is fast.

probably personal opinion and taste, but I stopped using wmaker
exclusively when I considered that it stopped being lightweight. That
was about version 0.20 or so... I think they're up to about 0.80 now?

Last I used fvwm, it was considerably lighter-weight than wmaker, and
most important UI items were definable. A true delight to someone who
wants to spend 3 years configuring their wmanager... ;)

About a year and a half ago, I got sick and tired of switching
intermittently between wmaker (pro=features, con=bloat), flwm
(pro=speed, con=I found the workspace management wierd), and wmx
(pro=extremely lightweight, con=pretty featureless) - and so went and
tried pretty much every windowmanager I could get my hand on.

What I ended up using[1] isn't so much important as actually trying them
out. UI's tend to be a very personal thing, and there is rarely a simple
answer. (wmx is a great example of this - it's great for memory
consumption - almost none. ...but it can load the X server up a bit
because the windowframes are shaped).  Similarly almost anyone who I've
spoken to about windowmanager will likely know that I have a distinct
loathing for blackbox.

Suggestion?

http://xwinman.org/

...visit, test some wmanagers that seem interesting... go from there.
Not the easiest way perhaps, but I think most likely to provide
satisfaction.

.../Nemo

[1] PWM, if anyone's interested  :)