transact vpn- vapourware private network

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Sat Jun 29 16:41:13 EST 2002

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 01:02:37PM +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> Not so much a case of adding value to the subscriptions of customers
> they already have, but a means of getting new subscriptions from
> customers they don't have yet.
>
> Alex

   Same here.  I didn't get TransACT, and am now glad I didn't, as I'll be
gone before they actually start selling it.  I know there are lots of people
where I work who also didn't get TransACT.  Without the unmetered
peer-to-peer (with ANU as one of the peers) it didn't provide anything for
them either.  I've even had one of the students where I work chew my ear for
half an hour about no one (the school, the whole university, TransACT)
providing him a reasonable link between his home and the university.  He was
going to go off and try to get the ANU modem pool resurrected.

   There was and is a local market for a city-wide unmetered LAN.  If the
person in charge of the TransACT rollout doesn't think it's worth
implementing, after their marketing department has already built up interest
in such a product ..  well, I guess they'll be surprised when, oh, say
TELSTRA, starts selling such a service.  Isn't Telstra already starting to
dabble in something like that with the free download/games site that Paul
Bryan was pulling iso's off of?  Sounds so popular that it's in need of
upgrading. I think quite a few people would pay a small premium to get
unmetered local traffic (on top of the basic ADSL service).  There's little
point in having a 45 Mbps wire to your home if you only get .256 Mbps for
your data traffic, and have to pay for traffic at a rate that makes filling
even a 0.033 Mbps pipe expensive.