re. Connection is Lost
Irena and Richard Jenkins
rjenkins at pop.alphalink.com.au
Tue Jun 18 22:43:53 EST 2002
Thanks to all those who replied. Some clarification of my situation:
1. I threw out all windows software last year and run a Mac.
2. The linux is a YellowDogLinux ... a port of RedHat. Mine is about RH
3. For those that don't know the Mac has an excellent internal modem (56k).
The modem doesn't give me disconnect problems when I connect using MacOS
4. I can keep the connection going by doing things so there are no silent
periods on the connection ... by overlapping downloads with mail collection I
can keep the connection up for more than an hour (easily). Lots of stress
however ... and I cannot leave the keyboard...
5. I did set up Kmail for checking my mail every 10 minutes ... but this is
not fast enough ... 'coz I do get disconnected. Maybe I should shorten this
to every 2 minutes?? This does seem wasteful though!!
6. With YDL I use standard tools to connect to the net ... KPPP and a
dialer to manage the connection. I know these are just front-ends for the
wvdial program ... but they seem to work well in this distribution.
7. I have fitted one of those Telstra phones ... but I dread to think that
call-waiting has been enabled. I absolutely hate it when people put me on
hold to speak to their girlfriends!! Can I rip it out of this phone ... and
why does it cause zero difficulty under MacOS?? Is there another setting
which I have to change to keep the connection up without continually typing
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
More information about the linux