Can't ping past ISP

Oscar Bosman oscarb at netspeed.com.au
Sun Jun 16 12:54:14 EST 2002

Sam Couter wrote:

> Oscar Bosman <oscarb at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I can dial and connect to the ISP but it has no connection to the
>>internet. I can ping both ends of the PPP connection but I can't ping
>>anything past it, not even the ISP's DNS server. I have checked the PPP
>>logs and the kernel logs on the IPCop box but everything looks ok to me.
>> The default gateway is setup properly.
>>

> What about the default route?
>
> See the defaultroute option for pppd. I have no experience with IPCop,
> so I have no idea how to tell it you want the defaultroute option on.

Below is the routing table. To me it looks very similar to the one on
the adsl box (only the peer's ip address is different). For those not
familiar with it, IPCop is Smoothwall, which is basically a stripped
down RedHat6.2 with some clever scripts to read dial-up parameters from
configuration files.  So, everything you know about pppd and ipchains
applies.  The ppp-on script looks as though it should be setting
defaultroute.

root at oyster~$route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination   Gateway       Genmask         Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
203.33.171.6  0.0.0.0       255.255.255.255 UH    0      0      0 ppp0
192.168.0.0   0.0.0.0       255.255.255.0   U     0      0      0 eth0
0.0.0.0       203.33.171.6  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0      0 ppp0
root at oyster~$

Oscar
--
You are in a maze of twisty little standards, all different.