Changing Font Size

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Jun 14 12:45:06 EST 2002

On Friday, June 14, 2002, at 11:04 , Alan Buchanan wrote:

> Is there a simple way to change the monitor driver (or change the
> font) =
> I obviously don't want to re-install from scratch again.

If you have actually got stuff working, it's probably not the monitor
driver that's the problem.  Your X Windows server is probably configured
to use an ultra-high resolution.  If you change the configuration of
your X Windows server, things should grow larger (maybe even large
enough to read).

If you look in /etc/X11/XF86Config (or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4), you
should find a bunch of lines similar to this:

Quote from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Device          "Matrox Millenium G400 Dual Head MAX"
>         Monitor         "Diamond View NF17"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth           1
>                 Modes           "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> "800x600" "640
> x480"
>         EndSubSection
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth           4
>                 Modes           "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> "800x600" "640
> x480"
>         EndSubSection
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth           24
>                 Modes           "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
> "800x600" "640
> x480"
>         EndSubSection

There are two things to be aware of here - first is the "DefaultDepth"
line (in this case, indicating 24 bits per pixel colour depth).

Then in the "Display" subsections, you'll have to find the one that
matches the bpp that is selected.  In this case, the SubSection
"Display" that has Depth set to 24.

The second thing that you need to be aware of is that the resolutions
specified on that "Modes" line are in the order that the X Windows
server will cycle through - with the first resolution as the default.

To change the maximum and default resolution to something with bigger
graphics (to allow you to put away the magnifying glass ;), delete the
first one or two of those resolutions, save the file, then restart the X
Windows Server - this is usually achieved by switching to a virtual
console (Alt+Ctl+F1), logging in as root and running /etc/init.d/xdm
restart (or wdm or whatever you have as your display manager).

On a 15" screen, I wouldn't suggest running at a finer resolution than
1024x768 (in fact, you should really consider sticking to 800x600).  I
have a 17" CRT, which I've configured for 1280x1024 - that works fine
for me most of the time, but can get hard on the eyes after a while.

You can switch your resolutions "on the fly" by using Alt+Ctrl and
the -/+ keys on the numeric keypad.  Be aware that the "virtual desktop"
size will remain at the maximum resolution, and when the monitor changes
resolution you will end up with, eg: an 800x600 view into a 1280x1024
workspace.  Definately not the same behaviour you might expect from
Windows or Mac OS X.

HAND
HTH
Alex