Mutt and Maildir

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 12 12:30:02 EST 2002

Drake Diedrich (dld at coyote.com.au) wrote:
> procmail will deliver to these as well if you specify the mailbox
> destination as a directory
[--- snip ---]
> :0:
> * ^Subject:.*\*\*\*\*SPAM\*\*\*\*
> spam/
  ----^

In case it wasn't obvious to procmail/Maildir newbies, this is the
important point.  You *must* use the trailing slash to specify a
directory otherwise procmail will make a mbox-style mailbox instead of
Maildir.

I don't think the grammer for this is very well thought out, but
procmail has been around longer than Maildir so it really is a hack to
make things work.  I don't want to think about how the procmail authors
are going to try to make things scale should new mailbox formats be
invented.

--
Matt
                             Last year I kudn't spel Engineer.  Now eye are won.