Followup to Webone port 25

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Fri Jul 26 19:38:22 EST 2002

Dear Cluggers,

Firstly, I really did not mean to create such an excited discussion.  I was
just grumpy when my working setup stopped working.

Secondly, much of the discussion seemed to be about blocking *outgoing* port
25 connections.  Webone do *not* do that.  They have just started blocking
*incoming* connections to port 25, and only for users on a domestic plan
*without* a fixed IP address.

The cost of a fixed IP address for domestic plan users (commercial plans come
with a fixed IP anyway) is an extra $12 per month, and this also buys the
right to run services on ports 25 and 80.  Thus Andrew Bishop is not
effected.

And actually, this is pretty good value.  For $67 per month, I get:
* a fixed IP
* a 1.25GB download limit, which with 50% discount between 12.30am - 9.30am,
is probably equivalent to 1.8GB or better.
* the right to host my own email and webserver.

As far as I can tell, this is better value than any of the other TransACT
business plans.  I don't know if any of the other TransACT ISP will do the
fixed IP thing (and allow hosting) on a domestic plan - I have not asked.

Also, due to the 50% discount and the recent increase in download limits, I
have been considering changing to the 800MB plan, which would reduce the cost
to $51 per month.  Personally, I have rarely pulled more than 800MB down in a
month anyway, and as long as I make the effort to schedule all big downloads
into the wee hours of the morning, all should be fine.

And I will also say that I have always found the Webone support staff
friendly, helpful and competent.  I was (and to some extent still am) tempted
by Netspeed's games server (for the linux stuff), but after a couple of phone
calls and several emails, I still could not get a clear answer about what
distributions etc were actually there, at which point a gave up and decided
to stay with Webone.

Rasjid.

PS.  For those on Webone, the following curl command will get your Webone
usage posted to you on demand (and you can cron it).

curl -s -S http://www.webone.com.au/cgi-bin/report.pl -d Name=<username> -d
submit=Submit+Request -e http://www.webone.com.au/private/report.html >
/dev/null