Trivial Pursuit (was Re: Followup to Webone port 25)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Jul 28 23:28:40 EST 2002

On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 07:38 , Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> Firstly, I really did not mean to create such an excited discussion.  I
> was
> just grumpy when my working setup stopped working.

Alexander Pope once said, "What mighty contests arise from such trivial
things."  I think that quote is on the Trivial Pursuit box.

> They have just started blocking  *incoming* connections to port 25, and
> only for users on a domestic plan *without* a fixed IP address.

Probably to prevent people running Microsoft Exchange from being 0wn3d.

Perhaps intended to prevent problems with people on the Internet trying
to send mail to "your" mail server - which six hour later is actually
someone else's.  Having someone try to deilver Rasjid's email to my
server would probably be more annoying than having my Microsoft Exchange
server cracked - after all, the former is unexpected.  Why are you
posting email addresses with your dynamic IP address as a mail server?
That's a new blacklist to set up - don't *deliver* email to servers
listed at dyndns... ;)

Or maybe WebOne are giving people a reason to buy their more expensive
plans (the ones with static IPs) :)

Alex